Non-Resident Enrollment

Who Can Apply for Non-Resident Enrollment?

If you live outside of New York City’s five boroughs (Bronx, Brooklyn, Manhattan, Queens, and Staten Island), you can apply to enroll in a DOE public school.

However, if your family does not live in New York City:

  • Your child cannot attend specialized schools, screened/selective schools or programs, Gifted and Talented programs, or pre-K programs.
  • Your child cannot participate in our admissions processes.
  • Your child is not eligible for transportation provided by the DOE.
  • You must pay tuition to attend DOE schools.
  • The DOE must enroll students who live in NYC before enrolling your child.

Read Chancellor’s Regulation A-125 to learn more:

file-pdf file-word file-word file-excel file-excel ar bn zh ko ru ur en fr-FR fr-HT es Español

The non-resident enrollment application is available from July 1 to August 31. To apply for non-resident enrollment to a NYC public school, please click here.

Tuition for Non-Residents

The New York State Education Department sets yearly tuition for students who do not live in NYC:

  • Grades K-6: Tuition is $5,649 for general education students and $44,471 for special education students.
  • Grades 7-12: Tuition is $9,447 for general education students and $48,269 for special education students.

Rates can change at any time.

Apply for Non-Resident Enrollment

The non-resident enrollment application for the 2018-2019 school year has closed.

Charter schools have a separate admissions process. Find out more on the Learn About Charter Schools page:

Enrollment for Students Moving to NYC

If you are moving to New York City, enroll your child in a DOE school after you move. Learn more on our New Students page:

  • Call Us

    Call Monday-Friday, 8am-6pm at 718-935-2009.

  • Email Us

    Write anytime with your questions.

Back to Top