Enroll Grade by Grade
- Entering 3-K, pre-K, or kindergarten in fall 2022? Set up your MySchools account today: With MySchools, you can explore your child's school options, apply during application periods, and get offer information for next year—all in one place.
- Entering high school in fall 2022? Get ready to apply during this school year.
- Eighth grade students will receive a personalized welcome letter in mid-October 2021; this letter includes information on how to access your MySchools account and participate in high school and Specialized High Schools admissions.
- Registration for the Specialized High Schools Admissions Test (SHSAT) is now open. Registered students will then take the test in December.
- More information and specific dates are on our Specialized High Schools page.
- Waitlists for 3-K, pre-K, Gifted and Talented and kindergarten are closed. Middle and high school waitlists closed in August.
- New to NYC and need a school now? Visit our New Students page to learn what to do.
How to Apply: Grade by Grade
Click or tap on the links below to learn more about each admissions process.
Learn about eligibility for EarlyLearn. These programs provide free or low-cost child care and education for children from 6 weeks to 2 years old. If you qualify, your child can begin a program any time during the year.
For qualifying families: Head Start provides safe, positive learning environments for children ages 3-4 to learn, to play, and get ready for kindergarten and beyond. Early Head Start provides child care for children 0-2 years old. Contact programs directly to apply.
Apply to free, full-day 3-K programs the year your child turns 3.
Apply to pre-K programs the year your child turns 4. There is a pre-K seat for every 4-year-old NYC resident.
Your child will enter kindergarten in the calendar year they turn 5. Apply even if your child is a current pre-K student.
Families with children entering kindergarten this fall can participate.
Apply during your child’s 5th grade year (or 6th grade for students in K-6 schools).
Apply during your child's 8th or (first-time) 9th grade year.
During your child's 8th or (first-time) 9th grade year, register to audition and/or test to apply to the Specialized High Schools.
Schools across New York City were invited to participate in a pilot initiative to increase diversity within their schools. Learn about the participating schools and initiatives for each grade level.