Select "View Calendar" to see all middle school fair dates and locations. There are no middle school fairs in Districts 24, 26, or 27—contact middle schools directly to learn about open houses, tours, or other events.
Who Can Apply to Middle School?
All New York City children are guaranteed a seat at a public middle school.
Entering Middle School in September 2018—Enroll Now
The middle school application period for 2018-2019 is now closed. If you already have a middle school placement for this fall, congratulations! You are ready for your first day of school. If you do not yet have a middle school placement, learn how to enroll on our New Students page:
Entering Middle School in September 2019—Apply by December 3, 2018
Apply to middle school when your child is in their last year of elementary school.
Your child must be both of the following to apply:
- A current New York City resident
- A current fifth grade student, or a current sixth grade student if their elementary school ends in sixth grade
Middle schools welcome all of the following students to apply: current public district and charter school students, private or parochial school students, students with disabilities, students with accessibility needs, students learning English, students in temporary housing, and LGBTQ and gender nonconforming students—learn more in the links that follow.
Find Out More
- Subscribe to the middle school admissions email list for admissions tips and key date reminders:
- If you move to NYC during the school year, visit our New Students page to learn how to enroll:
Find Middle Schools
Middle school offers students opportunities to explore their interests, discover new subjects, and learn more about themselves. This fall, apply to middle school by submitting a middle school application. Your child may also be eligible to apply to new schools or programs that were not options on their middle school application. If so, you will also be invited to apply during the New Schools Round.
Schools on Your Application
Your child’s middle school application will contain all of the middle school programs where your child is eligible to apply. Middle schools have different eligibility criteria:
- District schools offer a program or programs open only to students in the district where your family is zoned for middle school and, when different, in the district where your child goes to public elementary school.
- Boroughwide schools offer a program or programs that are open to all students in your borough.
- Citywide schools offer a program or programs open to all NYC students.
Some schools or programs require an additional test or audition. Learn more on each school’s website or in the NYC Middle School Directory; scroll down to find the directory for your district.
Diversity in Middle School Admissions
Middle schools across the city are participating in a pilot initiative to increase diversity within their programs—learn more on our Diversity in Admissions page:
Charter schools have a separate admissions process. Contact charter schools directly to learn how to apply—find out more on the Learn About Charter Schools page:
Middle School Resources
- Find a School. Learn which district (1-32) you live in for middle school admissions. Also learn if you have a zoned school. You can also use this resource to find the district of your child’s current school:
- NYC Middle School Directory. Explore schools and programs in your district. Learn about middle school admissions, admissions methods and priorities for specific middle schools, and the programs listed on your child’s application.
- Alternative Middle Schools. Learn about programs for students older than 13 who have not yet completed eighth grade:
Visit Middle Schools
Visiting a school is the best way to learn if it may be the right place for you. It’s also a great way to see how long the trip is from home. Contact schools directly to find out if they have special events or tours.
This fall, attend the middle school fairs—at these events, you can meet with representatives from different schools on the same day, in the same place. During the school year, find open house and middle school fair dates on this website.