The New York City Department of Education is committed to providing every single child, in every classroom, in every New York City public school, with a rigorous, inspiring, and nurturing learning experience. That is true regardless of family income, race, nationality, disability, language spoken at home, sexual orientation, or gender identification.
Chancellor Carranza introduced the Department of Education’s Core Leadership Values as a way to clarify our expectations for each other, help us make decisions, shape our organizational culture and attract and retain talented, dedicated people aligned to our mission.
The NYC DOE Core Leadership Values begin with our reason for being - the success of our 1.1 million students. Our Equity and Excellence for all agenda is realized through your work in accomplishing our four priorities – accelerate learning and instruction, partner with communities, develop people, and advance equity now – and the frameworks, initiatives, programs and supports that contribute to our mission.
Our mission describes “the why” we do our work. The priorities, frameworks, initiatives, programs and supports describe “the what” we do to achieve our mission. Our Core Leadership Values articulate “the way” that we should think and act like leaders, wherever we are in our organization. Those values - integrity, courage, perseverance, interdependence, justice for all and empathy – speak to what we should expect from each other and ourselves.
More information about how we can use our Core Leadership Values will be forthcoming. As first step, you are invited to reflect on the values as a guide for your own decision-making and the way you work with others. We look forward to exploring these values with you.
- Integrity: Be personally accountable.
- Courage: Espouse intentional vision. Communicate clearly. Be creative and self-reflect.
- Perseverance: Attain expertise. Manage change. Continue to learn. Strive to achieve.
- Interdependence: Build teamwork, collaboration, trust and mutual respect.
- Justice for All: Insist on equity-focus, student agency and growth mindset.
- Empathy: Value people. Appreciate communities. Be learner-centered.
Our Four Priorities
Deepening and expanding our shared commitment to Equity and Excellence.
- Accelerate Learning and Instruction: Provide inclusive, rigorous instruction to every child, in a safe, welcoming, and affirming environment.
- Partner with Communities: Empower families with a shared mission for student success and equitable outcomes.
- Develop People: Cultivate a learning culture by valuing and developing individuals and teams.
- Advance Equity Now: Transform outcomes by tackling inequities in all forms throughout the system.