Imagine NYC Schools is an initiative to empower students and communities to play an active, central role in creating the future of education, here and now. This initiative is the first of its kind in New York City–a student-centered, community-driven approach to creating bold, innovative, academically rigorous school options.
Who Can Participate?
Everyone! We are looking for students, families, and educators to join together to design and develop schools for 2021 and beyond.
As part of Imagine Schools, families, students, teachers, and community partners join forces to create a design team. Design team members should represent a committed, diverse, ambitious, and innovative group with varied perspectives and experiences. Students, parents, educators, and community members are a recommended part of design teams. Design teams may also include representatives of organizations, businesses and industry partners, service providers, advocates, designers, artists, activists and more. Everyone has something to offer!
Design teams are invited to submit, by November 12, 2019, a statement of intent to develop a new school or reimagine an existing school:
- Imagine new schools: We are looking for innovative ideas for academically rigorous, engaging and equitable new schools. These schools will serve as models for the system. Through the Imagine Schools design process, new school teams will be supported in the development of a strong mission and culture, community partnerships, youth voice and choice, and a robust academic model. Schools, if approved, would launch in fall 2021 and 2022, with student recruitment starting in fall 2020.
- Reimagine existing schools: We are looking for existing schools that want to engage in a total transformation using the Imagine Schools process. The process will support existing school teams as they envision plans for their schools that are academically challenging, authentically diverse, and aligned to the skills and knowledge young people need to be successful in an ever-changing world. School teams, if approved, would begin implementation in fall 2021 and 2022.
How to Get Involved
Start a Team
There is tremendous potential in the people around you. A strong team made of diverse perspectives and experiences is the foundation of the Imagine Schools process. Start by contacting students, organizations, parents, and community members to form a team. Learn more about the process of creating a team by reading "How To Cast A Great Team" from our partner XQ
Make Your Case for Transformation
- What is your design team’s bold idea?
- How is that idea grounded in what it will take to prepare students to meet the global and local challenges of the twenty-first century?
- How will your school concept prepare students for the complexities of a fast-changing future, including the world of work?
Submit a Statement of Intent by November 12, 2019
Statements of Intent are due by November 12, 2019.
Join Us For Upcoming Information Sessions
Wednesday, November 6, 2019
Medgar Evers College
Second-floor dining hall
1638 Bedford Avenue
Brooklyn, NY 11225
Are You Ready to Imagine What Schools Can Be in NYC?